No, not the Depot with the water park and ice rink. This Depot is part of the old Greyhound depot that is First Avenue (now celebrating their 40th year). Located at 17 North 7th Street with the same black brick and silver stars, The Depot provides a nice counterpoint to the Hard Rock Cafe across the street. If I was in a rock and roll band, I’d rather have my picture hanging in the Depot.
Formerly the UnBank (the unbanked have to go a block over to Hennepin, next door to the Skyway Lounge), the space has been recreated into a simple and comfortable bar restaurant. Two garage doors define the space with an exterior patio feel in the front room with an air conditioned bar behind the second door (it’s 90 friggin degrees today, so we sat by the bar).
Cool music is playing and great photographs of acts that have graced the stage at First Ave hang on the wall. There are 9 tvs of varying sizes, a few with baseball, others with old music videos. And if your grabbing dinner before a show, there’s a door allowing entry into the 7th Street Entry (with a new women’s bathroom, which I’m told was long overdue). The menu lists the upcoming acts in both the main room and the Entry – and you can buy tickets there, on the spot.
Three of us had a hard time choosing. There’s a build your own burger or dog option, plenty of vegetarian options, chili, and tacos. Plus a great tap beer selection. After much hemming and hawing, two of us went with items from the “Grilled Cheese” menu which were fantastic and are highly recommended. Bucking the trend, the third had The Depot Stretch – the only thing better than breakfast late in the day is when it’s served on top of tater tots! We topped it off with a little banana-walnut bread pudding with maple syrup. Goodness Gracious.
- Monte Cristo – Ham, turkey, baby swiss, fried egg, blackberry preserves on marble rye – $8.50
- Bavarian – Cambozola and granny smith apple with clover honey on 10 grain – $6.95
- The Depot Stretch – Scrambled eggs with red beef chili, pepper jack cheese, and red onions served on top of tater tots (small – plenty) $6.95 (also available in large for $9.95 perhaps if you want to split it with a loved one)
- Bells Two Hearted – $5.75
- Banana-Walnut Bread Pudding – $2.95 (half)
Follow them at: http://twitter.com/The_Depot
Fan them at: http://facebook.com/thedepottavern
Back page of menu: